In the next version, I think the Magento team should...

remove the javascript requirements for the front end

Currently a user cannot use the site with javascript disabled.

447 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JMJM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our website also fails accessibility tests because of javascript, so disadvantaging disabled visitors too.

• florianflorian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

5% of revenue can very easily be 100% of the earnings.
        or even more.
        the javascript issue is a very big disadvantage in comparison to other shop systems.
        this is not so much an issue for web designers and agencys.
        but it can kill the business of the company that is running the sop.
        statistcally, a competitor with a non-javascript-needing shop has 5% more conversion rate.
        that means, he can pay 5% more for marketing tools than a shop-owner who is using magento.
        just think about (basically) auction systems like google adwords.
        btw: i like magento. but this is a big, big problem!

• Nathan L SmithNathan L Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I <3 js, but most stores are trying to reach the widest possible audience, and 5% of users can be 5% of revenue. It would be nice to have graceful degradation.

I think this is possible, but not with the default theme.

• JonJon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jonathan.
        Thanks for the update, I have a relatively up to date and less large corporate customer base so I see even less than 5% of users unable to use JS. But you've made a good case for this. I am now a fan of the graceful degrading if JavaScript is not enabled.

Thanks

• akirschakirsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, the javascript requirement needs significantly reduced (meaning graceful degrading)... I also would love to see the Core JS Libraries not be dependent on prototype (varien form, opc, catalog product)... Not a big fan of prototype.

• Ross KendallRoss Kendall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

javascript can be great for improving the user interface, but the ability to degrade gracefully is a high priority. Of course it is possible to adjust the default interface, but it would be nice to have this 'feature' by default.

• leshaogonkovleshaogonkov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't it can be disabled in Settings? I remember here was some configuration for coockies disabled users.

• Jonathan HedrénJonathan Hedrén commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, it is an issue in some cases. If you do a lot of business-to-business ecommerce solutions you will sometimes run in to a whole customer/company that requires their employees to disable javascript.

And is it worth prohibiting *only* 5% of your customers to shop just because they have javascript disabled? Sounds like a waste of possible income in my ears...

Feedback and Knowledge Base