In the next version, I think the Magento team should...

Improve the Webservice / XML RPC API

Add missing functionality to the API

326 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Simon StahlSimon Stahl shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • kovinetkovinet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Current RESTfull API is very incomplete, there is no possibility to add configurable products (for example) or product attributes. Big problem is with product attributes with predefined values (dropdown), where now you can't add product trough API if certain attribute doesn't already exists - and also there is no way to add the attribute trough api.

• WickedWicked commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of XML-RPC, how about going down the path of REST protocol as webservice?

• Bruno AlexandreBruno Alexandre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to have more methods, for example:

- Get a list of Stores View, Stores, Websites
        - Manage Catalog Rules
        - Add/Create Full product Attributes
        - Manage Reviews & Ratings as well
        - Manage Newsletter & Subscribers

Would love to have the API much more quicker as well.

• LloydGrantLloydGrant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually making the documented XML-RPC work would be a huge benefit. Some XML samples would also be a help. Try partially shipping or invoicing something and you will see what I mean.

• VinaiVinai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Making it easier to extend the api v2 (e.g. removing the need to build the wsdl.xml manually) would make it easier to integrate magento with java/.net applications.

• Ross KendallRoss Kendall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Varien have already expressed there commitment to extending and improving Magento APIs, and I agree that it is an essential component to fostering a vibrant developer community.

• PHP (UK) LtdPHP (UK) Ltd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PHP (UK) have been working on our extended webservices component (Mammoth Webservices) for Magento for a number of months now.

I gave a presentation about it at the Mage::Camp conference in London earlier this year.

It adds and extends a number of webservices, including :
        - customer authentication
        - order creation
        - add/remove/update/clear cart
        - tags
        - ratings
        - reviews
        - wishlists

Using Mammoth Webservices it is entirely possible to go through the entire process of choosing products, creating an order and paying for it completely via the API - without any need to interact with the Magento front-end at all.

In addition to all of the above, we've also added REST and JSONRPC interfaces, as well as maintaining the existing SOAP and XML-RPC functionality.

We expect Mammoth to be ready for commercial release in the next 2 - 3 weeks. It will be priced at $399.99 per Magento instance when it is released.

You can download the beta version of Mammoth Webservices from our website at http://www.eecommerce.com/downloads

Lee Bolding | PHP UK
        Programme Manager, eeCommerce
        e: lee.bolding@php.uk.com
        w: http://www.php.uk.com

• Alexander McWilliamAlexander McWilliam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The API is rediculously slow and incomplete. For example it is not possible to remotely place a product in a person's basket.

Feedback and Knowledge Base