In the next version, I think the Magento team should...

Multi-store (language) SEO URLs

Allow SEO URL keys for products to be different per store view - critical for SEO in multi language environments.

622 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • blessytcblessytc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great stuff thanks Stranger - mind you we're more then happy with how Ubercart works with Drupal at this stage,
        http://www.topratedbestcoffeemakers.com
        Magento is fine if you want a very simple shop but the lack of documentation has made us lose interest in Magento to a large degree, there's just too much head scratching to do.

• munk.onlinemunk.online commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds really great that it has been confirmed. It has been confirmed to be part of the next stable version. Strange it didn´t come as a default feature. Look forward to this, I have three different languages running at the moment and is planning for more. Can´t wait for the next update.....

• EthanEthan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
        I don´t understand why this has not been implemented a long time ago. Making it possible to have the option to have the url_key for categories and products as store view instead of global only needs a small alteration in the code.

Please Varian, listen to your users NOW or you will loose some major global corporations and brands who need these multi-language SEO urls working.

Why has this suggestion post been updated to PLANNED as the magento team already has promised to fix this silly bug?

/Regards
        Ethan
        Senior Magento Developer

• shailesh.gajjarshailesh.gajjar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Magento is very good ecommerce multi-store but this SEO URLs functionality is black spot for Magento. It will not worth if you will not provide SEO URLs functionality in Multi-store. This is very big negative point of Multi-store functionality of Magento. I would like to suggest the Magento team to give this functionality otherwise people will move the other ecommerce store for Multi store functionality. SEO is very important to get the business this days.
        I am very happy that magento start the work on Multi store SEO issue. It will benefit to all.
        Thank you very much to Magento Team.

• affinity22affinity22 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Halleluja!

The Magento team is finally listening to the community on this crucial issue. They have now confirmed that they will look into it. On the 22nd of August they wrote:
        "Approved for implementation to have URL Key of products and categores per store view." Read it yourself here: (Issue #10160 - Comment Number 7 by Magento Team)
        http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=4846

I am not sure why they haven´t made it official on this Magento Roadmap forum? Can anyone email and ask them to publish it here to.

This is a fanstastic news that I have been waiting for over a year. I was about to start taking prozac as I have felt so down that magento missed this important detail. Now I can have Champagne tonight instead ;-)

Long Live Magento & may the forces be with the Varian team in making the important decisions about magento development.
        Cheers
        Rolf

• thE_iNviNciblEthE_iNviNciblE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it is possible to change by DB.... you had to find the category "url_key" and change the scope to storeview.... it works.... (in 1.2.x ....) should be easy for the magento team to implement....

• J.T.J.T. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree, very important. There are quite a few bits and bobs where you find that the Multi-Store ideas haven't been fully maximized. This is pretty much the most important one indeed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base