In the next version, I think the Magento team should...

Gift Certificates/Gift Cards for community edition

Allow customers to purchase physical (physical card mailed to recipient) and virtual (code provided via email
to recipient) gift certificates/cards. Customers can include a personal message when purchasing, and recipients
can use the value to purchase items as credit in the store

1,045 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chad BennettChad Bennett shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ganpat NegiGanpat Negi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we sell 3rd party branded gift cards like Starbucks, itunes gift cards using this magento gift card extention. I saw its user guide it forces to use a template. We don't want that, we want to sell third party gift cards and gift vouchers using our site.
        Please let us know whether this can be done using this extension or can you point us to any other extension.
        We also tried creating a simple magento product for third party gift cards but that didn't work as it didn't provide us the text field to enter value of the gift card. Also it didn't showed the max and min values that can be entered.

• kunalkunal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hi ,

when the customer purchase gift card say $100 and he uses only $50 to purchase a product , will the remaining amount be shown in his account

• JessicaJessica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1 vote for Magestore Gift voucher. Strong in virtual voucher. Store owners can also easily print out vouchers. Personal message can be included.

• Alex VinarAlex Vinar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi guys,

Please check here http://www.webtexsoftware.com/gift-cards-magento-extension

We've implemented such new features as:
        1)Ability to create gift cards with fixed prices. The price is specified by store admin, who can create as many such gift cards as needed
        2)Ability to edit the amount of gift card in the backend
        3)Added the third type of gift cards: Send by Post Office. Which means that now you are able to physically send out gift cards via classic mail

Regards, Alex Vinar

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the most basic features of any shopping cart. Of course it should be in the community edition.

• nvpetlinnvpetlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Put som more advanced functions in enterprise edition and gift certificates in the community edition.

• benz001benz001 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its really great that there are extensions like this out there, and without a service like Magento Connect it wouldn't be half the product that it is - but my votes for properly integrating this as a core module.

I've seen several other originally good cart products gradually stagnate as they allowed popular new features to live only with 3rd party extensions rather than using them as test beds for core improvements.

While 3rd party extensions fill a need, compatability and support issues lead to longer term issues, such as lack of clean upgrade paths, developers holding back on upgrading clients even when security issues exist, cross extension incompatibility, increased code forking as people hang on to favourite 'builds' etc etc

Don't get me wrong I'm very much of in favour of extensions! But when they highlight a widely needed feature it should be considered for core module inclusion.

• ManishaManisha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it will really help a lot.......... if this addons avilable in community edition

• benz001benz001 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of Gift Certificates in the base edition is, to be honest, a little embarrassing. Most of our clients are small businesses, many are considering migrating from xcart/osCommerce etc and naturally assume comparable features - every single one has been surprised and disappointed to find lack of native support for Gift Certificates. These really are considered a basic function of a cart by our end users. None of these clients can afford (or need) the Enterprise edition, in fact none of them need the multi store feature or the separate invoice process - there are many aspects of the community edition that are 'Enterprisy' and more than a few community features that missing. I really think there's a big disconnect between the editions and their target markets at this early stage of Magento's life.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base