In the next version, I think the Magento team should...

import function that really works

It would be great if the import/export really worked.
Like importing bundle and configurable products.

670 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SeanSean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Years later and not much has changed. If you're running 1.4.x.x below version 1.4.2.0 and you're feeling oppressed and disheartened, there's a massive memory leak, go search the Magento Community Forums and you'll find how to backport if you're not in a position to upgrade to 1.4.2.0 or greater. It almost gets your 1.3.x.x performance back. If you're running a real e-commerce website with the need to not fark around with chopping your large SKU database down into smaller chunks to do simple sitewide mass pricing changes, have a look at MagMI (Magento Mass Importer) which uses SQL to do the updates. http://sourceforge.net/projects/magmi/

• SubhasSubhas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is crucial and I would of thought a high priority for any store owner. The current feature is hit and miss. Any large uploads are a waste of time be because errors are not reported. What's the point of that!

• Flip VernooijFlip Vernooij commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every webshop that will ever use magento will wanna import their products using csv or xml (manual creation of 500 products is insane!)
        How can you release a webshop that has such a minimal support for imports?

I need to import configurable products straight from CSV and I do know I'm not the only one

• GavGav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dataflow is a joke. Sorry but there's no other way of putting it. Not only do we need all of the above ideas implementing but also import of multiple images and tiered pricing too.

• aeraioaeraio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the most absurd things that Dataslow does is serialize all the import data from the csv file, permanently storing it in the dataflow_batch_import table. The same is done with the export data (to a batch export table). That is absolute nonsense. I see no real reason for such data to be continually duplicated during import/export, even when those records may not actually import due to errors or what not. It's especially maddening that there isn't even an option to bypass such insanity.

Furthermore, it's ludicrous that thousands of records can be both serialized and then saved to that same dataflow_batch_import table in a matter of seconds (even if it is 60 seconds). Yet it can take upwards of an hour for that data to then become re-unserialized, and then translated to the other sections of the database that contain the relevant data.

Just stop with the tom-foolery already! Imports should take mere seconds, not hours!!

I would give heavy speed improvements all 10 of my UV points if I could.

... Aside from that, the import profile runner (/admin/system_convert_gui/run/id/3/files/somefile.csv/) needs a complete overhaul. Seriously lacking on the page are any sense of time (via timestamps). It would be helpful to know when the import started, when it finished, and for each error or other message that posts from the ajax calls.

Errors are often grossly vague and inhuman.

There needs to be a record ID and timestamp for all errors that post. And their location is not ideal.

Errors should be last on the page. They should never be sandwiched between the "Starting" and "Processed" progress bar. All important information, ESPECIALLY the import progress data, should remain fixed at the top. This is especially true because when several errors (or in my case, blank lines skipped due to "required field 'sku' not defined") can cause the information to become "pushed" off the visible region of the page continuously. Very annoying for those importing a lot of records, especially when using blank lines as visual organization for groups of grouped products and their simple sub-products.

Magento is so buggy, and so cumbersome to use (usability is fatally flawed), I honestly don't see how big companies use it... let alone pay tens of thousands per year to do so. How asinine!

Well, the least Varien could do with that money is hire better developers and spend some serious time improving the clumsy and cumbersome workflow that comes with Magento.

• Scott ShowalterScott Showalter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also help to get some errors to print out when they (all too frequently) occur. The AJAX import ...well, it's beyond words just how bad it really is.

• xtedxxtedx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

will be extremely useful if we can import categories, attribute dropdown values, either by themselves or with a product.
        basically all data input should be able to be done via import function, or API

• lukeluke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I 2nd this" When a line fails during import it would be extremely helpful if it told you what line had failed along side the notification."

• edwardtilburyedwardtilbury commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Easy populate.. 3 minutes to import 20,000 products..
        Magento... 1 hour down and about 7 more to go..

This is essential, especially being able to import grouped products and all attributes etc.

Category ID?? Can we use the cat name instead and if it doesn't exist can it generate it? Easy populate does this perfectly in zen cart.

• TwirrimTwirrim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A faster import is essential. Magento has to be one of the slowest at importing data, in no small part because it seems to automatically truncate certain tables with almost every import.
        Also: When a line fails during import it would be extremely helpful if it told you what line had failed along side the notification.

• James ThompsonJames Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reduce memory usage on import/export. Exporting 20,000 customers fails every time even with 512mb of RAM assigned to PHP.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base