In the next version, I think the Magento team should...

Proper international addressing

Magento is developed as a US system. Consequently, it does not cope with international address issues sufficiently.

1. In France the departements are part of the address, in Holland the provinces are not. So in Magento, it should be possible to enable/disable the field "State / province / county".

2. In the US postal code are place behind the city name, in Germany the required position is _in front of_ the city name. This option also needs a checkbox. on a per country basis.

3. The way people are addressed varies widely, from "Dear Bill Clinton" through "Sehr geehrte frau Doktor Merkel". For German and Dutch (a.o.) you need to have separate first and last names, a gender code and seperate fields for letter/mail addressing and envelop/shipping addressing. Some research and thought is needed to determine the way this feature is best implemented.

How the settings of state, postal code and personal addressing should be depends on the country at hand. So the settings need to be (pre)stored in the the Countries table of the database.

514 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mcSherpamcSherpa shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...